These days, more businesses are turning to managed hosting for their data and networking needs. Managed hosting offers an alternative to building and maintaining your own servers and network infrastructure, effectively outsourcing one of the most touchy and complex aspects of your office to professionals. The choice to use managed hosting has long been heralded for many benefits including cost-effectiveness and security advantages. However, one of the biggest benefits of a managed hosting contract is the one people don’t seem to talk as much about: flexibility.
Managed hosting offers the ultimate in scalability and customization. Generally, managed hosting plans are fitted to your company’s specifications and additional services can be added on easily as you grow. Yet, the flexibility offered by managed hosting goes far beyond that, and includes advantages such as the following:
- Bandwidth that matches your needs. Connectivity and bandwidth are vital resources in today’s business environment, but there is no need to pay for speed you don’t need or bandwidth you won’t use. Most managed hosting suppliers will start by looking at your needs in terms of security and performance and then match your hosting plan to your requirements.
- Virtual machines. While dedicated physical servers are available through managed hosting, hosting managers can also offer the use of virtual machines that can dramatically save on costs. With a virtual server, one powerful machine effectively acts as a number of different servers for different clients. They keep all data strictly segregated and secure, but share the cost over a number of companies.
- No need to invest in hardware. Too many executives have found themselves tearing out their hair as their expensive new network infrastructures rapidly became obsolete—or simply insufficient for their growing business needs. Buying technology is almost always a guessing game, but with managed hosting you don’t have to play it.
- Custom engineering. With a managed hosting service you get the talent and expertise of a cutting-edge IT workshop without having to expand your own staff. Experienced data architects will engineer your infrastructure and ensure that on-site implementation goes smoothly.
- Monitoring & optimization. A managed hosting provider can continuously optimize your network for your needs. Based on real-time usage data, they can see whether you are underutilizing your network or bumping up against its boundaries, and recommend changes where appropriate.
Flexibility is just one of the benefits of managed hosting. Is your company considering making the switch?