It’s become more and more common for companies to outsource their IT departments through data center hosting and other services. Many mid-market companies are not able to afford the cost of an IT staff, and business owners don’t have the time or knowledge to handle it on their own. Although it is understandable why companies hire externally, there are some IT terms that business owners should be familiar with so they are knowledgeable about what’s going on within their company.
- Internal Clouds – According to thehostingnews.com, an internal cloud, also known as a private cloud, is “a dedicated server the customer uses exclusively. The platform and applications, however, are still maintained by the cloud provider. Some even extend this term to dedicated servers owned and operated by the customer, which seems to defeat the purpose of using the term “cloud”.
- Hybrid Clouds – A hybrid cloud is a connection between two existing clouds. Typically the connection is between an internal cloud and an external public cloud. These are sometimes used when a business requires two clouds, each for specific applications, databases, or files.
- User-centric Computing - More companies are moving towards having employees who work remotely. In some cases individuals work from home while others are working as they travel across the globe. With so many employees working remotely companies are trying to do away with the operational costs of supporting so many devices. This can cause an issue for IT organizations because it becomes harder to keep data secure as well as back it up. As a result of these changes IT departments are now adopting user-centric perspectives.
- Hybrid Solutions – These types of solutions are popping up as a result of cloud services more and more availability. Hybrid solutions will offer companies higher performance and customizable servers. This will be appealing to many companies and the term will definitely be buzz worthy this year.
- Colocation – Colocation is a type of data center hosting when customers can rent space, power and bandwidth. These types of services allow companies to reduce their costs and place their infrastructure in a secure reliable facility.
Familiarizing yourself with these terms is a simple way of staying on top of the IT buzzwords for this year. Although some companies don’t employ IT technicians anymore it’s still important to stay on top of what’s going on in the field so you can be an educated consumer and business owner.